Our Executive Education Director’s almost 35 years of experience providing educational and behavior intervention services to children with special needs afford her numerous opportunities to think critically about the best services. Paloma Academy embodies those services. The leadership team and certified teaching staff have over 50 years of combined experience working with children with disabilities.
Who we serve
ALL children, ages 2 to 6, can flourish in our Academy, which accepts children on the autism spectrum and children needing behavioral interventions.
What to expect
Classes provide individualized attention to support each child’s emerging communication and learning skills. We work on communication, sensory integration, social relatedness, gross and fine motor development, play and self-help skills and behavior modification.
Our play-based curriculum offers a safe first step into the social environment and encourages individual growth and emerging social and communication skills. Activities focus on language development, motor skills, music, movement and play-based experiences. We work on social skill development and receptive and expressive language skill acquisition. For children, ages 4 to 6, early literacy and numeracy skills are encouraged through the Frog Street curriculum and experiential learning and play.
At Paloma Academy, we specialize in challenging behaviors. It is our goal to teach our students the necessary skills to change behaviors such as:
- Aggression toward self, others, and things
- Oppositional behavior
- Dropping to the ground
- Yelling, screaming, crying, whining
We want to shape those challenging behaviors into behaviors that will set our students and their family up for a successful future such as:
- Ability to get along with others
- Follow directions
- Identify and regulate emotions and behavior
- Effectively problem-solve to resolve conflict
- Persist at a task
- Engage in social conversation and cooperative play
- Accurately interpret other’s feelings and behavior
- Positively assess self and others
- Willingness to try new things
Paloma Academy offers
- Maximum of 1:3 adult to student ratio (ABA services provide 1:1 ratio)
- Highly trained staff of Behavior Technicians, Registered Behavior Technicians, and Board Certified Behavior Analysts, directed by a certified Master Level Early Childhood Special Education teacher.
- Activities emphasize social learning as well as kinder-readiness
- Teaching philosophy based on responsive teacher/child relationships
- Ongoing assessments of the child’s progress in the program
- Parents strongly encouraged to bring the learning process home
- Toilet training regimen
At Paloma Academy, we offer Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA). It is used to treat a wide variety of behavioral challenges and helps develop school readiness. We believe that it is important to offer additional socialization and school readiness opportunities that would not be available in most school settings. A clinical supervisor provides ongoing supervision to facilitate activities and routines. Individual ABA goals are developed and targeted throughout the day to include independent skills, social opportunities, appropriate play skills, and management of challenging behaviors.
*ABA services are available between 8:00 am and 2:30 pm.
Tuition is $225.00 a week.
Paloma Academy accepts funding through health insurance providers for ABA services. Families are billed for all co-payments and deductibles.
If you would like to message us about general inquiries or employment, please complete the form below.